While there are many flowers that are edible and can be used to add color and flavor to our food, there are also several common garden plants that are highly toxic if eaten. Since both young children and pets tend to be inquisitive and like to try eating whatever is to be found in the garden, we need to be aware of those plants that are toxic and so provide a hazard. This article by Kathy Woodard which I found on The Garden Glove website describes the top twelve poisonous plants.
When you have pets or small children, what is planted in your garden is something you need to be aware of and proactive about. While no one can rid their garden of everything that is possibly a hazard, many people have no idea that some very common garden plants can be highly toxic to kids and pets if eaten. While young kids should never be left alone in a garden, you can?t keep an eye on them every second, and the same goes for the family dog or cat. So let?s all spread the word about these popular plants so that we make the decision to either remove them from our yard, to be alert as to their presence, or better yet, never plant them in the first place when you have pets and kids. (Or grandkids!) The plants we have chosen for this list are here because they are common, and because they are seriously toxic?to humans and pets. There are many more plants that are toxic to lesser degrees causing only digestive upset, or requiring extremely large amounts to be eaten in order to be toxic. Also, please keep in mind that there are some plants that are not toxic to humans, but are to pets. See the list resources at the end of this post for more information. No list can be exhaustive however, so please always be careful with kids and pets in the garden.
Go to the next page to see the list of poisonous plants that are growing in our gardens.