The basic material for this project is an old wooden drawer which can be transformed into what has been described as a ?Purple Haze Magic Garden Box?. Apart from this you will need some paint, plaster of Paris and a sheet of scrapbook paper. Full instructions are included in the article by Amy which I found on the Pretty Purple Door website. She even includes a list of label ideas so you can make yours unique.
After my friend saw this cheery purple planter I made from an old drawer, he titled it the ?Purple Haze Magic Garden Box.? I must say, this is one of those cool DIY projects you can make in an hour or two, and it will absolutely transform your curb appeal. Let?s go dumpster diving so you can make your neighbors jealous. Follow along to make this magic garden box from an old drawer.
- An old drawer (use one you have laying around, or go dumpster diving like I did!)
- A?pretty paint color ? sample jars are only 3 bucks or so.
- Homemade chalk paint ? all you need for this is your Plaster of Paris (1/4 cup), warm water (1/4 cup). Mix together until no lumps, and add 1/2 cup of your paint (or any amount in this ratio).
- 1 sheet of scrapbook paper (or newspaper, or a different color paint, etc.)
- Polyurethane Sealer?(I used a Matte finish in a spray can)
- Waterproof Sealer.?There are several options in the sealing section.
- Aluminum roof flashing?or just an aluminum soda cut into a strip (optional)
- Metal stamping kit?(optional)
- Sharpie marker (optional)
- PlantsCool DIY projects are my favorite! With a little paint, some modge podge, and a label you can turn a run down old drawer into an awesome, brightly colored planter for your front porch!
Paint your old drawer with chalk paint
The first step to make this old drawer planter is to paint it. I went to the local hardware store and picked up a sample of this beautiful purple color for about 3 bucks.
Then, I came home and made my homemade chalk paint recipe. To make chalk paint, get an old mason jar or container. Fill 1/4 of the jar with warm water, and add 1/4 plaster of paris. Mix this up really good so there?s no lumps. Then, fill the remaining 1/2 of the jar with your paint color. Now you basically have DOUBLE what you bought.
You may be wondering why you should you chalk paint? Well, you don?t have to, that?s just what I did. I love to use chalk paint because it covers over your original surface without sanding. That?s right, you don?t have to even sand the drawer! Just slap your paint right over it. Cool DIY projects are the best, aren?t they?
Get a sample jar of paint (or use what you have on hand) to make my chalk paint recipe. Chalk paint is easy to distress and will cover your drawer without having to sand it.
See more at Pretty Purple Door