Contrary to popular opinion the Poinsettia is not poisonous, but several other houseplants can cause problems if eaten by children or pets. Although this is true there is no serious danger if consumed in small quantities. In fact there are far more dangerous items usually found around the house such as cleaning products. I found an article by Dr Leonard Perry over at the University of Vermont website in which he lists seven common plants that should not be eaten.

Several of our favorite holiday plants should be kept from children and pets, yet often they pose no serious danger in small amounts.? There are many other and more toxic substances to children in homes to be mindful of, especially cosmetics, cleaning products, and personal care products.
The poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima), the most popular flowering potted plant for indoors, has gotten a bum rap for a number of years. It’s been falsely accused of being poisonous, yet no deaths from this plant have ever been recorded. In fact, research studies at Ohio State University have proven that poinsettias present no health hazard.
The rumors arise from a highly questionable report of a single fatality in Hawaii more than 80 years ago, a child who reportedly died after eating one leaf. However, that doesn’t mean the poinsettia doesn’t have mildly toxic properties. If ingested by pets or humans, it can irritate the mouth and stomach, sometimes resulting in diarrhea or vomiting.
The sap may cause a poison ivy-like blistering on contact with the skin on some persons unless washed off immediately. That’s why it’s important to place poinsettias, and other holiday plants, out of the reach of children and curious pets.? Keep in mind that pets and people may differ in what plants are toxic, and to what degree.? Kalanchoe, for instance, is not listed as toxic for people but is mildly toxic for pets.
How safe are other holiday plants to humans? Here’s the rundown on some common plants which have toxic properties.
HOLLY (Ilex): Branches are used during the holidays in arrangements for the shiny (but prickly) dark green leaves and berries.? Eating the bright, red berries of this plant usually result in no toxicity in small quantities.? Large quantities cause nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting.
JERUSALEM CHERRY (Solanum pseudocapsicum): This potted plant has been more popular in decades past, but still can be found during the holidays (so also called Christmas Cherry) for the rounded red fruits against the dark green leaves on a plant about a foot high.? Every part of this plant contains the toxic substance solanocapsine, especially in unripened fruits and leaves. Eating the fruit or foliage will adversely affect the heart and can cause a range of symptoms including stomach pain, vomiting, headache, drowsiness, to others more severe.

See more at University of Vermont
Image source: Joshua Tree National Park