If you have pets or young children in the house you should be aware of these ten common houseplants. They are all freely available at garden centers and other stores and are also attractive plants so it is quite likely that you may have one or more of these in your home. While most of those on the list are only mildly toxic to humans, most are more so for pets. The one plant that is extremely dangerous is Oleander since eating a single leaf could prove fatal. This information comes from an article by Jayme Kinsey which I found over on the Dengarden website.

Houseplants play several beneficial roles in our home environment. They provide visual interest to the home, purify the air, and may be edible or medicinal.
Some common plants are a common staple in kitchens, such as aloe vera, which is praised for its easy care, beautiful shape, and soothing gel. However, even such commonly grown and useful plants may be toxic.
Toxic plants can be a hazard to children and pets, as well as to elderly persons with dementia. Whereas it is advisable to keep all plants out of the reach of those who might crush, eat, or taste them, it is not always possible to prevent accidental encounters. If you’re worried your loved ones may ingest your houseplants, you may want to keep the plants in this article out of your house.
Poisoning can occur from:
  • Eating or touching leaves
  • Ingesting berries, blossoms, or roots
  • Skin contact with sap or juices
  • Eating soil
  • Drinking water from plant tray

Most garden centers don’t provide warning labels on their potted plants noting possible toxicity. Before you purchase that philodendron or lovely lily, learn which common plants can pose the biggest threat to the more vulnerable members of your home.

Go to the next page to see the list of toxic houseplants.